This on-skates class will focus on skills needed for effective destructive blocking. Then will apply those skills to blocking techniques that will drop opponents on their butts or send them sailing into the cheap seats.
- For knocking opponents out of bounds and on the floor.
- Effective Destructive Blocking = You knock an opponent on their ass and YOU SKATE AWAY.
- These blocks take a lot of energy so you want to use them sparingly or they get sloppy.
- Must get YOUR feet to the white line. If opponent has room to stand, they may still be there.
- On the inside, for me, leading with the butt is more effective. Get your penalty sticks (read: arms) away from the hit. Pretty much any illegal action in a T.O. makes it major.
- Step through her, not just to her (cliché but true)
- Must end hit in a stable balanced position
- It may help to think of it as making her slam into you. You are cutting her off.
- Adding a good booty flick can get your opponent to move forward as well as out, extra bonus for drawing a major!
- This hit comes from your legs even though you are lifting her onto your back.
- Not shoulder contact, it is tiny and weak and attached to a penalty stick. USE YOUR BACK!
- Squat and get them to run into your back, as soon as they hit, deepen your squat and then straightened your legs, when you pop up they will pop off
- Must end hit in a stable balanced position so snap back to squat
- Most importantly you must get low and aim for the guts
Inside Line Assault
In a pace line, the back skater races from back and MUST take the inside. Line gives them several feet. Second to last person hits. May use person in front to hold onto. Stay evenly spaced in line. Hitter must knock her out of bounds. Jammer may jump and/or hit back but she must pass on the inside of her opponent.
Using the Track
Two cones are places on track about 10-20 feet apart coming into the turn. Hit must happen between cones. Blocker goes first, one second later jammer goes. Jammer must run up inside. Goal is to make them cut you. Play around with exact location you meet to get the best hit on them to pop them out of bounds and back in.
Outside Line Assault
In a pace line, the back skater races from back and MUST take the outside. Line gives them several feet. Second to last person hits. May use person in front to hold onto. Stay evenly spaced in line. Hitter must knock her out of bounds. Jammer may jump and/or hit back but she must pass on the outside of her opponent.